Monday, October 11, 2010

Reflection on "Once Upon a School"

I really liked the Ted Talk "Once Upon a School". I thought Dave Eggers was nervous but, he did a good job presenting the material. He was passionate about what he was saying and that made everything else alright.
The way the writers and editors created the "stores" to tutor children is an amazing idea. I especially was impressed with their ability to get so many volunteers so that they could tutor the children one on one.
I don't think this concept would work around here. I'm not sure we could get volunteers to help the children. I think it would be wonderful for the kids.
I also liked how Dave Eggers challenged everyone to get involved with their local schools. I think it would be wonderful if we could make this happen.

5 comments:

  1. Why could we not get volunteers? There always seems to be adults willing to help with sports programs, why not a tutoring program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bill. I think that as close as we are to a retirement community, that we could easily find volunteers. I would do it. I have all the time in the world. Not really, but I would find some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello to you too, yes I am ready to go home too!!!!

    ReplyDelete